Main image source: https://www.lumi.com/. Sustainable packaging supply chain specialists
Sustainability and “business” often clash due to their differing priorities; however, sustainable packaging insights would suggest this is already changing. Whereas previously you’d be making a straight choice between profit vs environmental impact, consumer habits are changing.
Sustainability is becoming a selling point.
European Packaging Association Pro Carton has produced a report to highlight Sustainable Packaging Insights. The independent consumer survey across seven countries and 7000 consumers shows the importance of packaging sustainability on consumers’ purchasing decisions.
Key sustainable packaging insights to make any CFO reconsider the more expensive, yet sustainable, packaging option!
1. 68% of European consumers admit that making environmentally-friendly decisions has become more important to them over the past five years
Get Ecobahn Sustainable Packaging updates direct to your inbox
2. Recycling is on the rise with 69% of consumers recycling more waste in the last 12 months
3. Three quarters (75%) admit that the environmental impact of a product’s packaging affects their purchasing decision
4. 91% of all consumers would shop at a supermarket or retailer that proactively encouraged environmentally packaging from its suppliers
5. Packaging in the media has impacted the purchasing decisions of three-quarters of consumers
6. More than half of all consumers identify cardboard/cartonboard as the most environmental and recyclable form of packaging
7. 64% of consumers think retailers and brands are not doing enough to introduce environmentally-friendly packaging
8. 77% of consumers would pay a premium for more environmentally-friendly packaging
9. More than half of all consumers have switched brands because of packaging – non-recyclable and unnecessary packaging are the most common reasons for the change
10. Over half of all consumers support a tax to force brands and retailers to adopt more environmentally friendly packaging – only 17% disagreed
11. 90% of consumers want on-pack labelling to demonstrate environmentally-friendly packaging, while 71% want guidance from the government
Further Reading: Cardboard Box Alternative: 3M Flex & Seal. Read More